Last updated: September 6, 2022
Since the start of the pandemic, One Of A Kind has been closely following the advice of public health authorities. As an event, we will continue to abide to the latest guidance from local authorities, while making every effort to ensure your time at One Of A Kind is enjoyable, fun, and, above all, safe.
At the time of writing, there are no COVID restrictions at this year’s event. One Of A Kind will operate at 100% capacity. There is no proof of vaccination requirements. Exhibitors, visitors and staff members are welcome to wear masks, but are not required to do so, in accordance with local public health mandate.
If you feel sick or unwell or have symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend the One Of A Kind Show.
Please note all health and safety restrictions and requirements are subject to change at any time in accordance with government guidelines and legal allowances. For the latest information, please check back on this page.
Customers or exhibitors requiring first aid can visit the first aid room (location tba). Check back closer to the show for hours of operation.
Children on the Show Floor During Move-In & Out
During move-in and move-out the Show floor can be a very dangerous area with vehicles, cherry pickers, and fork lifts moving through the aisles, and nails and other debris left in the aisles. According to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, absolutely no children aged 15 or under are allowed onto the Show Floor during these times.
All display materials such as fabric and carpeting must be fireproofed or made of a fire-retardant material. Styrofoam and foam core are absolutely forbidden.
In accordance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its applicable regulations, fireproofing cannot take place on the show floor during move-in. Please plan to have any drapes, carpeting and other display materials treated ahead of time. We recommend using either of the following two companies:
4555, Boulevard des Grandes-Prairies
Tel. bureau 65, Montréal, QC
NOTE: Enercare Centre fire regulations require any booth with a covered roof or contained area to have a fire extinguisher present throughout the show. Additionally, any exhibitors who makes products that use an open flame in their display (i.e. candles, oil lamps, glassware, ceramics, etc.) or use candles as part of their décor, must comply with these safety regulations. Please read the Safety Requirements for Visitors PDF for more information.
Occupational Health & Safety
All participants at the One of a Kind Spring Show are reminded that workplace and worker safety is everyone's responsibility. All participants at the show must comply with the legislation contained in the Occupational Health and Safety Act (the green book) and its applicable regulations, which are governed by the Ontario Ministry of Labour, more information can be found on the Ministry of Labour website. All exhibitor personnel involved with the move-in and/or move-out process (ie. material handling, erecting/dismantling exhibits, etc.) MUST wear appropriate footwear at all times during move-in and move-out, regardless of their booth size or location on the show floor. Note, flip flops, open toed and high heel shoes are not allowed. Steel toed shoes must be worn where required. In order to ensure that everyone understands the importance of this policy, all exhibitors are required to fill out and submit the Workplace Safety Declaration Form posted below prior to move-in.
Health & Safety Declaration Form (coming soon)
*MANDATORY FOR ALL EXHIBITORS*
The following conditions are required to be met in order for the booth / owner to be in compliance:
- Flame(s) shall NOT be used solely to attract attention.
- The display must be supervised by booth staff at all times otherwise the display is required to be extinguished.
- The use of an open flame is limited to certain articles of merchandise where the operation of an approved appliance or device definitely helps to promote the sale of such merchandise.
- Where candles are offered for sale, not more than four (4) candles may be lit at any one time (assessed on a case by case basis).
- An approved fire extinguisher must be easily accessible and have a current inspections certificate.
- Lit candles must have a solid non-combustible base and flames must be enclosed with a hurricane or chimney.
- Candles must be placed on a table or stable surface with no combustible obstructions above.
- All containers should be placed well away from table decorations, drapes or any other potentially combustible materials.
- Candles shall be prohibited in areas where occupants stand or are near an aisle or exit.
- Lit displays should not be concentrated in one location.
- If at any time an Inspector deems a display to be dangerous to public safety, he/she will require the display to be extinguished.
Exhibitors who wish to have a ceiling in their both must first obtain permission from show management.
Once permission has been granted, exhibitors with ceilings must adhere to the following:
- A covered roof/ceiling will require the material, whether fabric or a hard surface, be fire treated. (Green Dolphin provides a variety of fire treatment services).
- The fire treatment must be done before exhibitor move-in.
- Exhibitor must provide proof of fire treatment to show management before show opening.
- Exhibitor must provide their own 5 lbs. ABC fire extinguisher that is visible and accessible always during the show. Booth staff must be trained on its use by completing this online course: canadasafetycouncil.org/product/fire-safety/.
Safety and Security Onsite
The One Of A Kind Show is staffed 24-hours a day in the exhibit hall from set-up through tear-down. However, in addition to this protection, we strongly suggest that you take the following precautions:
- Wear your badge during set-up and tear-down to help identify anyone who does not belong in the hall.
- Do not leave your keys or valuables (such as purses, cash boxes, or stock) in your vehicle at any time.
- During show hours, keep your personal items, such as purses and briefcases, locked up and out of sight from the public. They should not be left behind drapes or underneath tables as this is the first place that is targeted. The safest option is to keep your cash and credit card receipts in a money belt or pouch that you wear.
- Do not leave any cash or credit card slips in your booth overnight. Take them with you.
- We strongly recommend that you close off the front of your booth each night with cloth, mesh, netting, etc. that will discourage anyone from entering your booth when you are not there.
- Walk to and from the hall with someone, especially if carrying large sums of money. See Security Escort for more details.
- To avoid fraudulent charges:
- Stay with your terminal while a transaction is in process
- Ensure credit card name and type match the transaction
- Ensure receipt reads “Sale”
- Change your password from the default one provided by the company
- Make daily bank deposits!
- Report suspicious behaviour to the Show Office or staff immediately!
- Do not leave your booth unattended, not even for a second during show hours. Be sure to be at your booth before show opening and at show closing. Do not leave immediately following close--wait until the public clears the floor.
- Insure yourself for the duration of the show to protect yourself from things like theft, damage, bodily injury, and other hazards.
- Keep fire doors closed at all times. Never prop open a fire door.
- Authorize each credit card purchase while the customer is in your booth to avoid dealing with declined authorizations.
Additional security measures are implemented within the Product Storage Area including a security camera installed nearby. Each exhibiting company that is allotted a product storage space must designate only TWO staff members who will have access to the product area.
Upon request, Exhibition Place Security Services will provide a security escort to anyone who does not feel comfortable walking to their mode of transportation. To request this service, call Exhibition Place Security Services at 416-263-3333 and advise the operator of your request for a security escort, as well as your name, description and location and wait at your location for Security Staff to arrive.
What to do in the following situations:
Theft or damage occurred within your booth overnight or outside of Show hours:
- If you discover that product within your booth was stolen or damaged overnight or outside of Show hours, please notify the Show Office or inform the One of a Kind Floor Staff who will be wearing navy blue coloured STAFF shirts. They will send a Show Security guard to your booth to take a detailed incident report for future reference. Depending on the value of the theft or damage you may also want to call the non-emergency Police to file a Police report (non-emergency Police phone number is on previous page). There are security cameras in the exhibit hall, however, only the Police are allowed to access the footage which they can do as part of their investigation if you file a report with them.
Theft or damage occurs within your booth (or someone else’s) during show hours:
- If you did NOT witness the theft or damage: follow the instructions listed above.
- If you DID witness theft from a booth: you can either call 911 immediately (followed by notifying the Show Office team) or immediately notify the Show Office, a One of a Kind Floor Staff or the Show Security directly. Show Security will take a detailed report from you and/or other witnesses including description of the person(s) involved as well as a description and value of the items taken or damaged. Show Security will notify Exhibition Place Security and together they will search for the suspect within the building. If found, they can detain the suspect, who you have positively identified, until police arrive. Note, if you aren’t able to positively identify the suspect, Show Security will still be able to help search for the suspect and even speak to the suspect, however, they will not be able to detain them.
You have found a lost child or a parent informs you of their missing child:
- If you have a child in your booth who has become separated from their parents, take their full name and either call the Show Office (416-263-3202) who will then make an overhead announcement for the parents or notify the One of a Kind Show Floor Staff at one of the locations indicated on the attached floor plan and they will contact Show Office via two-way radio.
- If a parent informs you of their missing child, try to take down a description of what the child is wearing, hair & eye colour, height, age and name. Either call Show Office (416-263-3202) or notify the One of a Kind Floor Staff who are trained in how to respond to this type of situation.
An exhibitor or show visitor is ill or needs medical treatment:
- There will be a dedicated first aid attendant available at all times during official show hours
- If you encounter a sick or injured person, make them as comfortable as possible without moving him or her. Stay with the person and notify Show Office (416-263-3202) or a One of a Kind Floor Staff who will summon the attendant via two-way radio. After giving the location and details, the first aid attendant and the Show Office will have a plan of action for where the Ambulance will be received, if needed.
You have found a wallet/purse in the washroom or a credit card has been left in your booth, etc.:
- If you find a lost object, please bring it to the Customer Service Centre or the Show Office. Please note overhead announcements will not be made for lost and found items.
You have discovered a fire:
- Leave the fire area and sound building alarm (fire pull stations are located at all exit doors). Notify the fire department by calling 911. Use stairs (not elevators) to exit the building.
A building evacuation has been ordered:
- Enercare Centre is equipped with a two (2) stage alarm. During the 1st stage of an alarm, exhibitors must stop all sales and listen to the announcements through the public address (P.A.) system. Upon hearing the 2nd stage alarm (rapid tone), everyone will be advised via overhead P.A. system to evacuate the building. Proceed to the nearest Show floor exit immediately – do not remain with your product! Note, elevators cannot be used. Exhibitors should assemble with Show Management outside of the Beanfield Centre (corner of Princes' Blvd. and Newfoundland Road) to await further instructions. During an evacuation, the Coat Check will be closed and will only resume when the All Clear announcement has been made. Once it is deemed safe by fire officials to return to the building the following re-admit order will take place:
Show Security → Show Management & Show Staff → Exhibitors → Visitors