APPLY TO THE 2023 SPRING SHOW 🌷 MARCH 29 - APRIL 2, 2023
APPLY TO THE 2023 SPRING SHOW 🌷 MARCH 29 - APRIL 2, 2023
As we make our way to the Spring Show, we're looking for some amazing makers to help round out our event! We've always got an eye out for top talent like you to add to the mix at Spring. Read on to find out more about acceptance criteria, what to submit, booth options, pricing and more. Submit your online application below!
The second application deadline has passed; applications remain open until the show has sold out.
The jury will be reviewing applications on a rotating basis. We strongly encourage you to submit your application as early as possible to have the best chance of being offered a place in the Spring Show.
Why We're One Of A Kind
For over 40 years, One Of A Kind has been the place for the best Canadian makers to sell their work. We've fostered generations of handmade enthusiasts, helped new artisans become celebrities of craft and created a powerful community of creative small business owners.
As trends in technology and commerce change the landscape of craft, we remain committed to providing a platform that meets the needs of modern makers. But there are some things about us that will always stay true, so start by reviewing our acceptance criteria to make sure One Of A Kind is the right fit for you.
WHAT'S SPECIAL ABOUT ONE OF A KIND?
- 💪 The Biggest Game In Town
We are the largest consumer craft show in North America, hosting over 1,000 makers and 200,000 shoppers each year.
- 📚 We've Got History
Over our four decades, we’ve shaped the legacy of Canadian craft, fostering generations of conscious consumers and helping artisans graduate from fledgling to big time.
- 💻 So Much More Than Sales
Build your creative community, connect with buyers and small business experts, gain valuable market research, get access to special offers and opportunities and more!
- 🎉 Beyond The Booth
We are a multi-channel platform (and support system) that connects you with loyal customers, marketing opportunities and PR exposure year-round.
- You are the designer AND heavily involved in the production of your work. We are looking for makers of all kinds--from traditional to technological and creative to commercially driven. Our criteria for production and scale will differ for each category, so applications are considered case-by-case. Outline your production process(es) in detail, to show the jury your work aligns with our criteria. Beyond that, we are looking for work that is creative, innovative, cohesive, avoids saturated trends and is respectful of copyright law and other cultures.
- You Reside AND Produce Your Work in Canada. We want consumers to support the local creative economy and community, so every item for sale in the show must be made in Canada. Any manufacturing help must be locally sourced, but not all raw materials must be. Designing products and having them produced internationally is NOT something we permit.
- You Support our efforts to celebrate Diversity and Inclusivity. We put our hearts, minds, and resources into creating an event that is welcoming and inclusive for everyone. We believe in the power of craft to celebrate skill, identity, creativity, history, heritage, and culture. We have worked hard to provide resources to help educate our makers on the differences between misappropriation and responsible collaboration. We ask that you help us by ensuring your work does not perpetuate the harmful impacts of cultural appropriation.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- Contracted booth space to show and sell your work and 6 exhibitor badges for you and your staff.
- 10 complimentary tickets, plus discount codes and incentives, to help you bring fans and followers to the show.
- A dedicated One Of A Kind Online Artisan Profile with links to your website and social channels
- Access to show specific and year-round marketing and PR opportunities.
- Pre-show resources including Facebook Groups, newsletters, videos, show experts, and a digital Exhibitor Kit.
- Onsite services, including a lounge with free tea and coffee, and other onsite perks throughout the show.
- Exposure to loyal shoppers and craft enthusiasts—including wholesalers, bloggers, media and galleries--and insight from face-to-face feedback and large-scale market research.
- Show your work among top-quality makers who share your belief in creativity and small-batch production.
- Expand your community—learn from show mentors and small business pros, connect with fellow makers to swap tips and create opportunities for collaborations, and more!
APPLY TO SPRING
The Spring Show is all about showcasing fresh new talent and exciting new products for the new year. So, we put a focus on creating special sections that will highlight different creative groups and collectives and support makers at any stage of their career.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
- Filled out Application Form. You can find the link below!
- 10 High-Resolution Photos of Your Work. Please submit at least 10 good quality, well-lit photos that represent the range of work you would like to sell at the show. We cannot stress enough the importance of good photos, as they will be the jury’s introduction to your work and will be used for marketing and PR opportunities if you are accepted to the show.
- Booth Design Photos or Plan. Include a photo, sketch, inspiration board or rendering that includes plans for signage, lighting, merchandising and the display structure of your booth. We also want to see how your branding works to tell your story. Not sure where to start? Visit us on Pinterest for some examples of great booths of all shapes and sizes! Note: To maintain the professional look of the show, the use of grids to hang and display your work is not permitted.
- 3 Studio Photos. Show us where you make the magic happen--whether it's your studio, a maker space, a commercial kitchen or your dining room table!
- Biography. Tell us about yourself, what inspires you and if you've had any education/training or participated in any other shows we might know. Share your brand story, business goals and what you want to get out of the show.
- Price List. This will help the jury get an idea of your pricing and how it compares in the marketplace. Your price list should include each type of item you want to sell at the show.
- Step-by-Step Description of your Production Process(es). This is probably the most important document in your application package. Each item you wish to sell at the show must be made by you or your company and fit within our production and category criteria. So, walk us through your production processes--tell us how you design, where production takes place, how you are involved and when you are getting help. This information will not be shared with anyone outside of the jury.
- Samples. If required please submit your samples to be received within 1 week of your application submission.
Samples are required for the following product categories:
- Food/Flavours. Please submit samples of each type of item you wish to sell for review by the jury. Samples must be submitted in the form they will be sold to the consumer. Exhibitors from out of province who will be selling meat, dairy, or fish, are required to submit their Safe Food for Canadians Licence.
- Paper, Personal Care, Candles. All paper (stationery) and scented products (soap, candles, etc) must be submitted for review in their finished form. Submissions should include at least one of each type of product that will be sold, but do not need to include all variations that will be available. Samples will not be returned.
Please send samples of each type of item you intend to sell at the show to:
One Of A Kind Show
20 Eglinton Ave West, Suite 1200
PO Box 2055
ATTN: Application Samples
NOTE: Samples sent for review will not be returned. Samples should be received within one week of your application submission. If you are dropping your samples off in person, please do so only during business hours. If your samples require special handling (such as refrigeration) please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about what to submit in your application package or what samples need to be included? Don't hesitate to reach to us at email@example.com.
We are committed to investing in the future of craft, so our scholarship program helps new artisans start to build their business with One Of A Kind. Follow the link below and tell us how a scholarship would help you make the most of your first show. Only scholarship applications with the corresponding submitted full application will be considered. You are welcome to apply for more than one, but in order to spread the love to as many new artisans as possible, you are only eligible to receive one.
New Artisan Scholarship - $1000 Open to first-time applicants who have been practicing their craft for less than 5 years, this grant reduces booth fees by $1,000.
Travel Scholarship - $500 Open to first-time applicants coming from outside of Ontario, this grant is designed to assist with travel, shipping and accommodation expenses by reducing booth fees by $500.
BIPOC Scholarship - For the 2023 Spring Show, a minimum of half of our Rising Stars Section will be given in priority for makers and artisans who self-identify as Black, Indigenous, or Persons of Colour. Up to 10 BIPOC identifying vendors will be selected for this scholarship and each will also receive 50% off their Rising Stars space (with a minimum order of a 3' x 3' space). Applicants must also be Rising Stars eligible as first-time exhibitors with less than 5 years in their art or craft.
Duuo Scholarship - $500 As the preferred insurance partner at One Of A Kind, we are proud to present the Let’s Duuo This Scholarship powered by Duuo at the upcoming 2023 One Of A Kind Spring Show. Duuo knows that prepping for an event is tough work. Making travel arrangements, setting up a booth, creating your marketing strategy - there are a lot of moving pieces to account for. The Let's Duuo This Scholarship aims to make your participation a little easier so you can make the most of your time at the show.
Eligibility for The Duuo scholarship eligibility is limited to those participating with regular booths only (5x10, 10x10, etc. This excludes Rising Stars, Marketplace, Booth Share etc) and exhibitors new to the show or who have not participated in the last 5 years. Preference will be given to small businesses owned by underrepresented groups (BIPOC-owned, Disability-owned, LGBTQ+-owned, etc).
Submit your Scholarship Application at ooak.link/scholarships
* Note that unless otherwise stated scholarships are only applicable to regular booths, ex. 5'x10, 10'x10', etc, and are limited in quantity, so the application for a scholarship does not guarantee receipt.
INTRO BOOTH OPTIONS
Rising Stars. In this open-concept section space is for first-time applicants with less than 5 years of professional experience in their art or craft. We supply the carpet, you bring a freestanding structure and lighting to showcase your work. Request space by the square foot, so you get as little or as much as you need. Open to all categories except food.
- To see examples of past Rising Stars booths, visit https://www.pinterest.ca/onmywaytoooak/rising-stars/
- Applications are eligible to participate in the Rising Stars section at ONE Winter and ONE Spring Show.
- Minimum booth size is 9 square feet.
Booth Share. Share a 10’ x 10’ booth (or larger, if requested) with a fellow artisan to help alleviate some of the challenges of your first shows, like costs, required stock, and booth sitting. Open to individual applicants looking to be paired with a buddy, depending on availability.
- To see examples of past Booth Shares, visit https://www.pinterest.ca/onmywaytoooak/booth-share/
- To apply, each participant must submit a complete application, including a booth design that shows how you will share the 10’x10’ booth space.
- Applicants are eligible for a Booth Share at TWO Spring and TWO Winter Shows
Marketplace. This popular tabletop marketplace is a great place to get your start at the show, without having to build a booth, and the close quarters of this section create a great sense of community among its freshman exhibitors. To see examples of past Marketplace booths, visit https://www.pinterest.ca/onmywaytoooak/marketplace/
Marketplace is being sponsored by The Nooks at the 2023 One Of A Kind Spring Show. This exciting partnership provides subsidized participation for all Nookies, future Nookies, or any other fellow artisans!
For more information please see the One Of A Kind Marketplace Application.
Québec créatif. In partnership with Société de développment des enterprises cuturelles (SODEC), this section highlights 12 makers from the province of Québec, and provides guidance and financial support to them throughout their first One Of A Kind Show.
BOOTH SIZES & PRICING
Booth space includes 8’ high pipe and white drape and booth number signage. Exhibitors must provide lighting, signage, fixtures, and POS equipment. Electrical, hard walls and other services are available for rental.
Due to the pipe-and-drape construction (1.5” diameter) of the booth, internal dimensions are slightly reduced (as noted below). Consider your actual booth size when making your booth display plans.
MARKETPLACE. This popular tabletop section is a great place for new exhibitors to get their start with the show for a fraction of the cost. You'll skip building a big booth so you can really focus on preparing for the show, and the close quarters of this section create a great sense of community onsite.
Marketplace is being sponsored by The Nooks at the 2023 One Of A Kind Spring Show. This exciting partnership provides subsidized participation for all Nookies, future Nookies, or any other fellow artisans! For more information please see the One Of A Kind Marketplace Application.
RISING STARS. In this open concept section, we supply the carpet and you bring a freestanding structure and lighting to showcase your work. Request space by the square foot, so that you get as little or as much as you need to create a display that works best for your brand.
- Open to first-time Spring exhibitors or those who have only previously participated in our Marketplace section.
- Due to Health and Safety regulations, this section is not open to artisans in our Flavours category.
- See examples of Rising Stars booths from shows past on our Rising Stars Pinterest Board.
QUÉBEC CRÉATIF. In partnership with Société de développment des enterprises cuturelles (SODEC), this section highlights 12 makers from the province of Québec, and provides guidance and financial support to them throughout their first One Of A Kind Show.
- More information about Québec créatif
- Application for Québec créatif - English
- Application for Québec créatif - français
FLAVOURS. If your kitchen is your studio, then the Flavours section is for you. In this popular neighbourhood, customers find all of their favourite consumables like baked goods, jams, marinades, cocktail mixes and sweets.
FASHION DISTRICT. The place to be for Canadian fashion designers! Showcase your work among the best of the best! Open to the clothing category only.
Ready to Apply?
Submit your application to join us at The 2023 One Of A Kind Spring Show
JOIN THE ONE OF A KIND COMMUNITY 💗
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
- ❓ Find answers to the most commonly asked questions in our Application FAQ.
- 📍 Visit our Pinterest Boards to see examples of different booths, sections and features of our show.
- 🥰 Join our On My Way to OOAK Facebook Group to connect with fellow makers and OOAK hopefuls, and the One Of A Kind team.
NOT QUITE READY TO JOIN THE MAJORS?
- No problem! Give us a follow on social media to get the inside scoop on all the show, our team and what we do! Plus, stay in the loop on special events, invites and offers from our partners.
- You can always reach us at: 📧 firstname.lastname@example.org
We can't wait to hear from you!