APPLY TO THE 2024 SPRING SHOW 🌷 MARCH 27 - 31, 2024
APPLY TO THE 2024 SPRING SHOW 🌷 MARCH 27 - 31, 2024
For more than 40 years, One Of A Kind has been the largest platform for Canadian artisans to build their businesses. As trends in technology and commerce change the face of craft, we remain the best place for makers and creative small businesses to build their brands. Joining One Of A Kind presents you the opportunity to generate new sales leads, connect with customers, both existing and new, gather data, do market research, connect with like-minded fellow makers, provide a physical presence to your online store and accumulate new followers on social and/or your email list. We provide a platform for you to shine, represent your brand, and amplify your reach.
Read on to find out more about acceptance criteria, what to submit, booth options, pricing and more. Then submit your online application below.
Next Application Deadline: December 6, 2023
Why We're One Of A Kind
For over 40 years, One Of A Kind has been the place for the best Canadian makers to sell their work. We've fostered generations of handmade enthusiasts, helped new artisans become celebrities of craft and created a powerful community of creative small business owners.
As trends in technology and commerce change the landscape of craft, we remain committed to providing a platform that meets the needs of modern makers. But there are some things about us that will always stay true, so start by reviewing our acceptance criteria to make sure One Of A Kind is the right fit for you.
The 2024 One Of A Kind Spring Show is scheduled to take place March 27-31, 2024 at the Enercare Centre. If you look at the calendar, you might notice this falls over the 2024 Easter Weekend.
It is always an exciting show when The Spring Show and Easter weekend overlap. With stat holidays, school breaks, and family gatherings, it really keeps all of us on our toes. Historically the overall visitor count remains consistent with years when the Show and Easter Weekend do not overlap however, the traffic flow at Easter deviates from typical patterns.
The 2024 One Of A Kind Spring Show will continue to see the return of our show’s most popular features and we anticipate a re-introduction of the One Of A Kind Exhibitor Mentorship program by that time as well.
- You are the designer AND heavily involved in the production of your work. We are looking for makers of all kinds--from traditional to technological and creative to commercially driven. Our criteria for production and scale will differ for each category, so applications are considered case-by-case. Outline your production process(es) in detail, to show the jury your work aligns with our criteria. Beyond that, we are looking for work that is creative, innovative, cohesive, avoids saturated trends and is respectful of copyright law and other cultures.
- You Reside AND Produce Your Work in Canada. We want consumers to support the local creative economy and community, so every item for sale in the show must be made in Canada. Any manufacturing help must be locally sourced, but not all raw materials must be. Designing products and having them produced internationally is NOT something we permit.
- You Support our efforts to celebrate Diversity and Inclusivity. We put our hearts, minds, and resources into creating an event that is welcoming and inclusive for everyone. We believe in the power of craft to celebrate skill, identity, creativity, history, heritage, and culture. We have worked hard to provide resources to help educate our makers on the differences between misappropriation and responsible collaboration. We ask that you help us by ensuring your work does not perpetuate the harmful impacts of cultural appropriation.
- You Respect our Exclusivity Philosophy. One Of A Kind was born of the need for a place for Canadian makers to show and sell their work. Before e-commerce, and even before retail was open on Sundays, One Of A Kind established itself as the flagship place to buy Canadian handmade. Now, over 40 years later, we are still the best place for modern makers to build their business. And our loyal customer base comes out each year for an exclusive shopping experience highlighting the best in the creative community. Your One Of A Kind participation would include an exclusivity clause that asks that you be judicious about your participation in other shows around the time of our event. That means for 14 days before, during, and 14 days after our event, you will not participate in any shows within 30 km of our location. This allows us to create a can't-miss shopping experience that draws out shoppers in large numbers.
- Your Work Stands Out. In addition to the above, we are looking for creative, unique, innovative, and cohesive. Work that avoids saturated trends and respects copyright law and other cultures.
What You'll Get
- Contracted booth space to showcase your brand and sell your work
- Six exhibitor badges for you and your staff (unless otherwise noted).
- 10 Complimentary tickets, plus discount codes and incentives, to help you bring your fans and followers to the show.
- A dedicated One Of A Kind Online Artisan Profile with links to your website and social channels.
- Access to Pre-show resources, including an exhibitor Facebook Group, newsletters, a digital Exhibitor Kit and more.
- Onsite services, including a lounge with free tea and coffee, and other onsite perks, events, and services throughout the show.
- Exposure to our loyal shoppers and craft enthusiasts, plus opportunities for market research and customer insights.
- PR and Marketing opportunities, when applicable, prior to and during the event.
- Year-round media opportunities (featured emails, social posts, online/offline contests) to build and nurture your marketing funnels
- Show your work among top-quality makers who share your belief in creativity and small-batch production
- Expand your community—learn from show mentors and small business pros, connect with fellow makers to swap tips, create collaborations, and so much more!
APPLY TO SPRING
The Spring Show is all about showcasing fresh new talent and exciting new products for the new year. So, we put a focus on creating special sections that will highlight different creative groups and collectives and support makers at any stage of their career.
What to Submit
- Filled out Application. You can find the link below.
- Biography. Tell us about yourself, what inspires you and if you've had any education/training or participated in any other shows we might know. Share your brand story, business goals and what you want to get out of the show.
- Step-by-Step Description of your Production Process(es). This is probably the most important document in your application package. Each item you wish to sell at the show must be made by you or your company and fit within our production and category criteria. So, please walk us through your production processes--tell us how you design, where production takes place, how you are involved and when you are getting help. This information will not be shared with anyone outside of the jury.
- Price List. This will help the jury get an idea of your pricing and how it compares in the marketplace. Your price list should include each type of item you want to sell at the show.
- 10 High-Resolution Photos of Your Work.Please submit at least 10 good-quality, well-lit photos that represent the range of work you would like to sell at the show. We cannot stress the importance of good photos enough, as they will be the jury’s introduction to your work and may be used for marketing and PR opportunities if you are accepted to the show.
- 3 Studio Photos. Show us where you make the magic happen--whether it's your studio, a maker space, a commercial kitchen or dining room table!
- Booth Design Photos or Plan. Include a photo, sketch, inspiration board or rendering that includes plans for signage, lighting, merchandising and the display structure of your booth. We also want to see how your branding works to tell your story. Not Sure Where to Start? Visit our Best Booth Pinterest Boards or try the Booth Design Puzzle Teaser provided by Visual Merchandising Expert and a friend of the show, Ani Nersessian of VM ID, who can help you create your best booth design. NOTE: Using grids to hang and display your work is not permitted to maintain the show's professional look.
- Samples. If required, please submit your samples to be received within one week of your application submission.
Submit your Samples
Samples are required for the following product categories:
- Food/Flavours. Please submit samples of each type of item you wish to sell for review by the jury. Samples must be submitted in the form they will be sold to the consumer. Exhibitors from out of province who will be selling meat, dairy, or fish, are required to submit their Safe Food for Canadians Licence.
- Paper, Personal Care, Candles. All paper (stationery) and scented products (soap, candles, etc) must be submitted for review in their finished form. Submissions should include at least one of each type of product that will be sold, but do not need to include all variations that will be available. Samples will not be returned.
Please send samples of each type of item you intend to sell at the show to:
One Of A Kind Show
20 Eglinton Ave West, Suite 1200
ATTN: Application Samples
NOTE: Samples sent for review will not be returned. Samples should be received within one week of your application submission. If you are dropping your samples off in person, please do so only during business hours. If your samples require special handling (such as refrigeration) please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about what to submit in your application package or what samples need to be included? Don't hesitate to reach to us at email@example.com.
We are committed to investing in the future of craft, so our scholarship program helps new artisans start to build their business with One Of A Kind. Follow the link below and tell us how a scholarship would help you make the most of your first show. Only scholarship applications with the corresponding submitted full application will be considered. You are welcome to apply for more than one, but in order to spread the love to as many new artisans as possible, you are only eligible to receive one.
New Artisan Scholarship - $1000 Open to first-time applicants who have been practicing their craft for less than 5 years, this grant reduces booth fees by $1,000.
Travel Scholarship - $500 Open to first-time applicants coming from outside of Ontario, this grant is designed to assist with travel, shipping and accommodation expenses by reducing booth fees by $500.
BIPOC Scholarship - For the 2024 Spring Show, a minimum of half of our Rising Stars Section will be given in priority for makers and artisans who self-identify as Black, Indigenous, or Persons of Colour. Up to 10 BIPOC identifying vendors will be selected for this scholarship and each will also receive 50% off their Rising Stars space (with a minimum order of a 3' x 3' space). Applicants must also be Rising Stars eligible as first-time exhibitors with less than 5 years in their art or craft.
- Applicants are welcome to apply for more than one opportunity. Still, in order to spread the love to as many new artisans as possible, you are only eligible to receive one.
- Scholarships are only applicable to regular booths, ex. 5'x10, 10'x10', etc., and are limited in quantity, so the application for a scholarship does not guarantee awarded scholarship.
- Those wishing to apply for a scholarship will be prompted to submit a separate form during the application process, outlining how the scholarship funds will help make the most of their first One Of A Kind Show.
Intro Booth Options
Rising Stars. In this open-concept section, space is for first-time applicants with less than 5 years of professional experience in their art or craft. We supply the carpet, you bring a freestanding structure and lighting to showcase your work. Request space by the square foot, so you get as little or as much as you need. Open to all categories except food.
- To see examples of past Rising Stars booths, visit https://www.pinterest.ca/onmywaytoooak/rising-stars/
- Applications are eligible to participate in the Rising Stars section at ONE Winter and ONE Spring Show.
- Minimum booth size is 9 square feet.
Booth Share. Share a 10’ x 10’ booth (or larger, if requested) with a fellow artisan to help alleviate some of the challenges of your first shows, like costs, required stock, and booth sitting. Open to individual applicants applying with a partner.
- To see examples of past Booth Shares, visit https://www.pinterest.ca/onmywaytoooak/booth-share/
- To apply, each participant must submit a complete application, including a booth design that shows how you will share the 10’x10’ booth space.
- Applicants are eligible for a Booth Share at TWO Spring and TWO Winter Shows
Marketplace. This updated and enhanced marketplace is a great place to get your start at the show, without having to build a booth. This unique section is unlike any other tabletop section; providing an elevated platform for your business. For the 2024 Spring Show each space features 29 sq ft of fixture-top corner display space in your own dedicated 48 sq ft area. Limited to first-time Spring Show participants.
- The Marketplace Section is a separate application and can be found here: Apply to Marketplace.
- To see examples of past Marketplace booths, visit https://www.pinterest.ca/onmywaytoooak/marketplace/
Booth Sizes and Pricing
Booth space includes 8’ high pipe and white drape and booth number signage. Exhibitors must provide lighting, signage, fixtures, and POS equipment. Electrical, hard walls and other services are available for rental.
Due to the pipe-and-drape construction (1.5” diameter) of the booth, internal dimensions are slightly reduced (as noted below). Consider your actual booth size when making your booth display plans.
Special Sections at Spring
MARKETPLACE. This updated and enhanced marketplace is a great place to get your start at the show, without having to build a booth. You'll skip building a big booth so you can focus on preparing for the show, and the close quarters of this section create a great sense of community onsite. This unique section is unlike any other tabletop section; providing an elevated platform for your business. For the 2024 Spring Show, each space features 29 sq ft of fixture-top corner display space in your own dedicated 48 sq ft area. Limited to first-time Spring Show participants.
RISING STARS. In this open concept section, we supply the carpet, and you bring a freestanding structure and lighting to showcase your work. Request space by the square foot so that you get as little or as much as you need to create a display that works best for your brand.
- Open to first-time Spring exhibitors or those who have only previously participated in our Marketplace/New In Buniess/Québec créatif sections.
- Due to Health and Safety regulations, this section does not allow sampling for those artisans in our Flavours category.
- See examples of Rising Stars booths from shows past on our Rising Stars Pinterest Board.
FLAVOURS. If your kitchen is your studio, then the Flavours section is for you. In this popular neighbourhood, customers find all of their favourite consumables like baked goods, jams, marinades, cocktail mixes and sweets.
Category Considerations: Flavours/Paper/Personal Care/Candles/Photography/Art Prints
FLAVOURS/FOOD + DRINK
- Please submit samples of each type of item you wish to sell for review by the jury.
- Samples must be submitted in the form they will be sold to the consumer.
- Samples will not be returned. Exhibitors from out of province who will be selling meat, dairy or fish will be required to submit their Safe Food for Canadians licence.
PAPER, PERSONAL CARE + CANDLES
- All paper/stationery and scented products (soap, candles, etc) must be submitted for review in their finished form.
- Samples should include at least one of each type of product that will be sold, but do not need to include all variations (ie scents, colours) that will be available.
- Samples will not be returned.
- Personal care makers should have, but do not need to provide, health compliance certificates appropriate to your chosen industry.
- Photographers must submit a statement telling us how and where your work is printed.
- Prints should be signed and dated.
- Open editions are acceptable.
- Artists wishing to sell reproductions must submit images of their prints/reproductions, in their finished and packaged forms, within their application photos.
- Prints should also be listed in the "What You Would Like to Sell at the Show" portion of the application form.
Book A Call
Book a 15-minute consultation to ask questions about exhibiting at One Of A Kind.